Subject: ELF, DU, X11, and 4D20
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Pouzzner <douzzer@mit.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/1997 21:10:25
What degree of runtime binary compatibility with OSF/1/DU will this
newfangled ELF netbsd-alpha stuff have?

Here's my big question: given that a stabilized ELF netbsd-alpha is
installed and running (currently hypothetical), can I run DEC's X
server with a powerstorm 4D20 framebuffer, using binary emulation?
Will the powerstorm work as a console, or will I need a weenie
framebuffer to boot?  I'm just trying to plan ahead; I've been stuck
with a sparc IPX (netbsd-1.1) for almost a year now and it's time to
get something faster, but I'm not going to move on without a
reasonable expectation that the parts are all there and fit together.

My preference of course is a native open-source X server with full
support for the 4D20, including cmaps and truecolor, GL, double-
buffering, overlay, and stereo viewing. Likely story.

-douzzer