Subject: Re: cpuconf.c undefined vlaues in kernel build
To: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/04/1997 01:32:07
> > [ ... definitions in headers ... ]
> >
> > (for a GENERIC kernel)
> This is exactly what I get with a GENERIC kernel

That is, you have all of those definitions in all of those headers?

> > how are you trying to build the kernel?  i.e. what commands, exactly,
> > are you trying to run?  it sounds like _something_ is going wrong.
> in compile:
> rm -rf GENERIC

shouldn't be necessary, but not unreasonable if you think something is
being hokey.

> in config directory:
> /usr/sbin/config GENERIC

That looks fine, assuming config is up today.

> in compile/GENERIC:
> make depend
> make

since you're building from scratch, the 'make depend' isn't strictly
necessary, but can't hurt.

> Notes:
> 1) the /usr/src is on a NFS directory running on NetBSD i386.
> 2) Did a rdate just before make depend
> 3) path variable does not inlcude /usr/sbin or /sbin

None of these should cause any problems, as far as i know.

> Nothing pressing right now - I just wondered what I might be missing.

What errors do you see?  (I suppose i should have asked for these
before...)

you might make sure your 'make' binary is up to date, as well.  it
couldn't be causing these problems, but it could cause you other
problems later.

cgd