Subject: Re: BNC/AUI support for alpha UDB.
To: Feico Dillema <dillema@pegasus.esprit.ec.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/10/1997 11:08:16
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Feico Dillema wrote:

> I'd like to  know whether somebody is working on BNC support for the
> `de' ethernet driver....

I was working on this, but someone (I can't remember who) convinced
me to fix several problems with the 3c59x/3c90x ethernet cards
first, and I borrowed a 10base-T hub, so this has managed to drop
down a ways on my list.

> If so, could you inform me of the
> nature of the problem and what needs to be done to solve it. Maybe I could
> try to get it to work (althouhg I'm not an experienced kernel hacker of
> any kind...).

There's something, somewhere, we're not frobbing right to turn on
that 10base-2 port. It can be done, since Linux seems to do it. I
don't think that the problem needs any huge amount of expertise to
solve, either, though it may require a fair amount of time just
grovelling about in code.

If you're interested in looking at this, we'd be glad of your help.
The relevant part in NetBSD is the tulip_dc21040_media_select()
function in src/sys/dev/pci/if_de.c. There's something not being done
there which is being done in linux/drivers/net/de4x5.c.

Under Linux, the kernel boot messages for BNC are:

    eth0: DE434/5 at b000 (PCI bus 0, device 8), h/w address 08:00:2b:e4:1a:cd,
	  and requires IRQ10 (provided by PCI BIOS).
    de4x5.c:v0.41 96/3/21 davies@wanton.lkg.dec.com
    eth0: media is EXT SIA.

and for AI are:

    eth0: DE434/5 at b000 (PCI bus 0, device 8), h/w address 08:00:2b:e5:26:91,
	  and requires IRQ10 (provided by PCI BIOS).
    de4x5.c:v0.41 96/3/21 davies@wanton.lkg.dec.com
    eth0: media is BNC/AUI.

Feel free to contact me through private e-mail if you have any
further questions, or if you want me to dig about for any further
docs I might have kicking around.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.