Subject: Re: crippled alpha processors
To: Ben Tober <tober@bbnplanet.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/18/1996 01:48:25
>Alternately, could NetBSD use milo, or is milo just too linux-centric?  It
>seems to me that religion in itself is not a good justification for reinventing
>the wheel.

I don't know very much at all about MILO.

However, I sincerely doubt that it knows how to read FFS file systems.
Also, having looked at it (or at least, old versions of it) once or
twice, it seems to provide some things (e.g. interrupt dispatch) in
ways not-quite-identical to the way the OSF/1 PALcode provided by the
SRM console firmware provides them.  Also, i seem to recall that it
was lacking a bit in the way it configured PCI space, but i could be
very off the mark there (especially since i never did manage to figure
out exactly what it was doing, and haven't looked at it for some
time).

There is the question, however, of whether or not it's suitable or
appropriate for inclusion in the NetBSD souce tree.  If not, then i'll
say right up front that I'd only be willing to support it on systems
for which it was impossible to get SRM console firmware.

cgd