Subject: Re: XFree86 diffs
To: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/15/1996 20:04:05
> Were the X11R6-XF86-3.1.2 diffs accepted by XFree86.org?

They were never submitted to the XFree people for inclusion.

There are basically two classes of diffs in that set:

	(1) diffs to make the NetBSD configuration files work
	    for NetBSD/alpha, and

	(2) diffs to make the TGA server exist and go.

The former set of diffs should be cleaned up and made more complete
(e.g. to deal with shared libraries, which are actually coming soon,
thankfully 8-), and shipped off to the Xfree86 folks.  Unless you'd
like to do this (you might be bored, or something 8-), i'll get to it
sooner or later.

> Now that there are a few Linux/Alpha X servers, it shouldn't take
> too much to make those servers work on NetBSD/Alpha should it?

Maybe, maybe not; i'm not entirely sure.  However, before that can
sanely happen, the console interface needs to be drastically cleaned
up, and there needs to be some support added to the VGA drivers, etc.,
so they export information about what memory and I/O regions can be
used, etc., to the X server.

I've actually started working on this (some of you may have noticed me
hacking on that code, in a branch, if you read source changes), but
it's still got a fair bit of work to go before it can really be used.

chris