Subject: Multima freezes
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/01/1996 23:13:30
Dear Alpha People,
   I purchased an Multia 166MZ alpha this fall with 24MB of memory and a
340MB disk drive.  I was able to grab a snap shot and install NetBSD just
before 1.2 came out.  The install went fairly smoothly.
   Several weeks ago I had some problems with the alpha freezing.  Once
frozen attempting to reboot seemed to start up find but usually seemed to
freeze when doing fsck.  I thought that maybe my disk had gotten
scrambeled when doing a hard reboot, but for the last two weeks it had
been running (with little activity) without problems.
   Earlier this weekend it logged in started a coulple of xterm sessions
and everything was ok.  Tonight it was frozen again.  This time when
I attempt to reboot it never even gets to the place where you can see
information appear on the screen while booting.  Of about 15 attempts
one time it got far enough along to switch fonts in the boot up process.
One other time it turned off the 3 green LEDs on the keyboard.  All the
other times it just reset the disk and appeard to freeze.
   Anybody had similar experience?  Any suggestions on things to try?
I know at least one person indicated when they bought their Multima
several arrived in non working order.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
johnh...