Subject: Re: dump and restore on the alpha port
To: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/30/1996 12:09:56
[ so, a couple of people pointed out that dump images _were_ in fact,
  supposed to be portable, even to other endiannesses, etc.  Shows you
  how often i do dumps... 8-]

> Actually, they are _not_ sufficient: I can't dump from the alpha and
> restore on the i386 with this code.  I just can't figure out why.  :-(

How do they fail?  I was able to create a dump image of a small (~4MB)
file system on the alpha, transfer it to an x86, run 'restore -ivf
imagename' on it, add all the files, and extract them all (well,
except for the device nodes, since i was running it as myself).

However, on the _alpha_ i can't restore the dump image with the same
procedure...  (it seg-faults...)

I'm looking into it...

chris