Subject: Re: TCSH/BASH and Installboot
To: Erik Johannessen <erik@docunetworks.com>
From: Thomas J. Merritt <tjm@cgt.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/27/1996 19:03:27
|<><><><><> Original message from Erik Johannessen  <><><><><>
|We just installed NetBSD/alpha on a noname machine, we got it up and
|running using the rz-25 diskimage, but we have a few problems:
|
|1st: We installed it on /dev/sd1 , now we want to set up /dev/sd0 to be
|the boot drive, but installboot won't let us do it. I've read the faq,
|tried what it suggested, but that just gives us device busy.
|
|2nd: I have tried both bash and tcsh, but both of them, after compiling,
|will give me badly formatted output on ls / echo etc. Any suggestions on
|how to fix this?

I opted to port pdksh and it seems to run fine.  You might want to try
it in place of tcsh or bash.  I found that bash was a bit painful on
NetBSD/alpha last spring. I don't know if anyone has improved it since
then since I've switched to pdksh.  Be sure that you get 5.2.3 or later
as version 4.9 will not run reliably.