Subject: Re: TCSH/BASH and Installboot
To: None <erik@docunetworks.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/27/1996 22:02:09
   We just installed NetBSD/alpha on a noname machine, we got it up and
   running using the rz-25 diskimage, but we have a few problems:

   1st: We installed it on /dev/sd1 , now we want to set up /dev/sd0 to be
   the boot drive, but installboot won't let us do it. I've read the faq,
   tried what it suggested, but that just gives us device busy.

   2nd: I have tried both bash and tcsh, but both of them, after compiling,
   will give me badly formatted output on ls / echo etc. Any suggestions on
   how to fix this?

   This is NetBSD 1.2 btw, and we are running the bin.tar.gz and etc.tar.gz
   snapshot.

   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello....

I don't know about BASH, but I am happly running TCSH 6.06.  There was
one minor change, an addition to the host.defs file, as it didn't know
what a NetBSD/alpha machine was:

vendor  : defined(sun3)                                 : "sun"
+vendor  : defined(__alpha__)                            : "dec"
hosttype:                                               : "NetBSD"
ostype  :                                               : "NetBSD"
machtype: defined(sparc)                                : "sparc"
machtype: defined(mc68020)                              : "m68k"
machtype: defined(i386)                                 : "i386"
machtype: defined(pmax)                                 : "i860"
machtype: defined(pc532)                                : "pc532"
+machtype: defined(__alpha__)                            : "alpha"
enddef  :

The lines with a '+' as the first character are the ones to add.

I think a standard 'xmkmf' will create all the proper Makefiles and
the like.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org