Subject: Re: When is ELF coming?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/22/1996 17:22:29
Curt Sampson wrote:
> In other words, in my limited scope of vision at this time I don't
> see why we can't just add i386-type shared libraries to the alpha
> ECOFF format files and solve all of our problems in one fell swoop.
> Not to mention that we'll avoid the `is this a NetBSD ELF file or
> a Digital UNIX ELF file?' question when we load a binary. (ELF
> doesn't appear to have any OS type; just CPU type.)

I don't know the answer to this.

I just accepted that Chris would have a good reason for doing all
that work on gnu tools (knowing how he *loves* gnu's copyleft 8-).

Weak symbols for libc/libpthread is a direction I was sent
"on good authority". I didn't go that way of my own accord.

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street