Subject: Re: Thinwire Port on Multias
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/18/1996 13:24:14
cjs@portal.ca writes:

> Well, I can't get that darn thinwire port on my Multia to work.
> I've been through the Linux device driver, and it doesn't seem to
> be doing anything special to select it. The entire relevant chunk
> of Linux code is as follows:
[linux code snipped]
> Not too tricky.
>
> I have converted our driver to send the full duplex magic, and to
> output exactly the same thing (0x0c) to CR13 as the Linux driver
> does (ours adds the software reset bit), and still no joy.
>
> If anyone out there has access to an alpha running Linux, would

We've got a whole wack of Multias running Red Hat Linux release 3.0.3 with a
1.3.90 kernel.

> you mind checking to see that this interface really does work,

The Thinwire (coax) port works just fine... :-/

> and
> sending me a copy of the startup messages related to this interface?

[snip]
eth0: DE434/5 at b000 (PCI bus 0, device 8), h/w address 08:00:2b:e4:1a:cd,
      and requires IRQ10 (provided by PCI BIOS).
de4x5.c:v0.41 96/3/21 davies@wanton.lkg.dec.com
Partition check:
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
Adding Swap: 103184k swap-space
Max size:265581   Log zone size:2048
First datazone:28   Root inode number 57344
ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
eth0: media is EXT SIA.
[snip]

Good luck...

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA