Subject: Re: Thinwire Port on Multias
To: None <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/18/1996 09:33:48
   Well, I can't get that darn thinwire port on my Multia to work.
   I've been through the Linux device driver, and it doesn't seem to
   be doing anything special to select it. The entire relevant chunk
   of Linux code is as follows:

[snip]

   Not too tricky.

   I have converted our driver to send the full duplex magic, and to
   output exactly the same thing (0x0c) to CR13 as the Linux driver
   does (ours adds the software reset bit), and still no joy.

   If anyone out there has access to an alpha running Linux, would
   you mind checking to see that this interface really does work, and
   sending me a copy of the startup messages related to this interface?

   cjs

   Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
   Internet Portal Services, Inc.

Hello....  My Multia was shipped with Redhat Linux installed and the
thinwire port worked.  I used it to telnet/rsh to a NetBSD machine
which contained the NetBSD Alpha disk image.  I did the old 'cat
disk_image | rsh alpha_machine "zcat | dd of=other_disk"' to write the
image to another disk I had attached to the Multia.  [Of course, I
booted the NetBSD disk and wiped Linux, so I can't try this again].