Subject: Re: When is ELF coming?
To: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/17/1996 22:54:32
> Soon?!

Unfortunately, making ELF work properly on the Alpha requires
Extensive changes to binutils.  When i say "properly," i mean
"capable of completely rebuilding the system without special hacks,
e.g. disabling a bunch of ld flags."  It's not clear that's true of
the Linux ELF support for the alpha, because i'm working with the guy
who did it, and NetBSD has pointed out a heck of a lot of problems...
8-)

Also, the changes are _still_ not completely working yet, either, but
that's another matter.

I seriously doubt, at this point, that it's going to be feasible to
back-port the binutils changes to binutils 2.7...  If you're
interested in testing the code, i'm sure that something can be worked
out so that you get it as soon as it actually works properly (see the
above definition 8-) for me, but i'm probably not going to be
"supporting" it until the next release of binutils is out.

> And it has weak symbols?

Well, i've been waiting for weak symbols in libc for a long, long
time, and J.T. hasn't gotten around to doing it yet, even though he
apparently has code which implements it and works.  I even have a
bunch of code to do it, which i didn't check in, to keep out of his
way.

I've asked for the status several times (last time was about a week
and a half ago), and have consistently told that something would be
happening with it "soon."  I have no idea what the hold-up is.

*sigh*

chris