Subject: Re: Booting in single-user mode
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/07/1996 11:18:22
> I thought I'd added that to the message; it's the DEC Alpha port.
> Digital Unix uses 'a' to go multiuser (otherwise it goes single-user
> by default), and it just makes life a bit easier for those who have
> both Digital Unix and NetBSD on a machine not to have to reset that
> environment variable when switching from one to the other.

Not just the Alpha, the pmax as well.

I'm not planning to change it for the alpha port, for two reqsons:
	(1) compatibility with Digital UNIX's boot flags, and
	(2) compatibility with NetBSD/Alpha's "traditional" boot
	    flags.

Standardizing the boot flags can never be completely useful, in my
opinion, since some ports will always have options which make no sense
on other ports.  Given that, any 'standard' must either be incomplete,
or annoying to port maintainers trying to pick new option flags.

chris