Subject: Re: NetBSD crashes on boot
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <tm@squonk.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/07/1996 05:49:05
>Please tell me (or the list) the results of booting with the new
>firmware.

Actually, the firmware was upgraded to 3.8 before I even copied the rz25
image to disk.

>Headlessness shouldn't make a difference.  See above for one idea on
>what's wrong, but I dunno why that would cause the symptoms you're
>seeing.
>
>All of the 'weird' kernel messages (from the unkonwn 0x200d/0x00c2
>devices to the apparent pcivga recognition) seem bogus.  Also, a 'tga'
>should be been recognized, since the Multia includes a TGA frame
>buffer (and it should have shown up even if you're not using it).
>Note also that the thing which claimed to be a PCI VGA board
>apperently wasn't responding to cursor-position-query I/O port
>accesses in a very 'normal' manner (which makes sense, since there
>wasn't any real PCI VGA board there! 8-).
>
>The many lines of register dumps and machine checks, etc., are caused
>by the firmware losing.  This lends (a bit of) credence to the theory
>that the firmware is to blame.
>
>Try the latest firmware, please, and get back to me/us...

I've got it up and running, but with a lot of weirdness.  The way I was
able to get it to boot was to boot across the net first, which failed
(I forget the error it gave), and then after getting back to the monitor,
booting from disk.  I also got tons more messages about bogus or unknown
devices on boot.  Once I got it up, the network software didn't work.  If
I tried to telnet to my other machine, it would say it was trying, but
the packet sniffer running on the other machine wouldn't pick anything
up.

Also, after shutting down the system, I tried booting from the net again,
and now it fails, and the packet sniffer sees no packets from the alpha.
If it makes any difference, the firmware ewa0_port and ewa0_mode variables
are set to thin-wire, which is what I'm using.  I noticed when I was
originally trying to boot from the network, if ewa0_mode was set to auto,
which was the default, the sniffer wouldn't see any packets from the alpha.
When I switched it to thin-wire, then it started to work.

(I already posted this once, but it seems to have gotten dumped in the
bit-bucket)

--
Trip Martin   | Harry Browne, libertarian for president
tm@squonk.net | http://www.harrybrowne96.org/