Subject: Re: Booting With Serial Console on Multia
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/06/1996 14:04:13
> Is there anything special that needs to be done to a kernel to let
> a Multia  boot from a serial console, rather than a VGA/keyboard
> console?

(1) if you unplug your keyboard, things should work.  Obviously, for
you, they don't.  8-)

(2) you should also be able to "set console serial" at the SRM console
firmware prompt, and it should boot using the serial console even if
the keyboard is plugged in.

FYI, there is no VGA in that machine.  The video board is a TGA,
though you seem to have run into a previously-discovered bogosity...

> I'm just using the standard generic kernel, and it panics
> when it tries to initialise wscons. I've attached a boot log to
> the end of this message.
>
> One thing that looks rather odd is that when I boot from the graphics
> console, the kernel detects a tga device, but when I boot from a
> serial console the kernel detects a pcivga device instead.

Right.  That's the "previously-discovered bogosity."  8-)

tm@squonk.net reported something similar on 10/28 (to this list,
message ID 199610290049.TAA04085@squonk.net), and i suggested that he
upgrade his firmware (though i didn't provide a complete URL for the
new firmware).  I don't think he ever posted a result...

New Multia/UDB firmware is available from:

	ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/interim/multia/

Please upgrade your firmware and tell us (the list) if the problem
continues.

chris