Subject: UDB - never mind :-)
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/18/1996 12:24:54
[N.B.  You can ignore my previous post regarding the two UDB systems auctioned]

Well, 3 stinkpots raised the lowest bid that could win the diskless/RAM-less
UDB from $365 to $435 right as the auction closed, so I decided to bow out.
(Well, this time, anyway  (-: )  Not because it wasn't a good deal; but
because it was more than I wanted to spend on this sort of thing on short
notice (and yes, I did notice in the port-alpha archives that these things were
retailing for US $1590 and then still being sold at $800 including keyboard
fairly recently ... )

But just in case Starship Computer Guys coughs up any more of these, some
direct pointed questions:

(1) Right now my hoary old SPARCstation 1 clone here has a nice Sony GDM 20D10
    monitor on it (bog-standard Sun 20" Sony with the little remote control
    unit tucked under the middle, and the built-in 13W3 cable/connector).
    Is there a prayer in hell that this could be re-used?  Or does one have to
    buy a bog-standard PC variety Multisync monitor to use with the TGA fb?

(2) I have two 1.2 Gb Quantum ProDrive PD1225S 3.5" disks.  Can I use these,
    either internally (i.e., put one inside) or both externally?  What little
    familiarity I have with the Alpha port keeps mentioning "RZ25 disk images".

    Do I have to scrounge up an RZ25 from someplace, no matter what?  And "dd"
    the disk image to it, perhaps while attached to a computer at work, and
    then install it in the UDB/Multia long enough to get it up and running
    and transferred over to the existing 1.2 Gb disks?

(3) If you don't have the "special breakout cable" for the dual-function DB25
    RS-232 port, will it still work with a "regular" cable?  Sun has some
    similar systems (i.e. that also take a breakout cable into 2 DB25's), but
    one can use a normal straight-through cable to use the single "A" port.

(4) Commodity 72-pin 70 ns RAM, right?

Replies to me please ...

	- Greg