Subject: Re: alpha 1.2 release
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/08/1996 13:33:10
> > (1) a 'good' way of actually determining whether or not an ELF binary
> > is for NetBSD/Alpha needs to be come up with and implemented.  I've
> > asked 'core' what to do about that several times, and haven't gotten a
> > real answer that i could actually go and implement, and which solves
> > the identification problems.
>
> I just hope that whatever is used will cause linux elf loaders to not
> accept the binary.

"same here."  The final decision will be made by core, and at some
point i'll probably have to either accept a decision I don't
particularly like, or further delay the Alpha port's transition to
ELF.

> > Once ELF + dynamic linking support is ready for public consumption,
> > i'm going to be publishing diffs to gcc 2.7.2.1, binutils 2.7, and gdb
> > 4.16, as well as build processes that (hopefully) will take you from
> > 1.2 and -current (i.e. what's publically available at that time) to
> > the new style of executables.
>
> I assume I can compile new kernels though, using the 1.2 source tarballs,
> right?

Uh, yeah.  The 1.2 binary distribution was created from the 1.2
sources with no modifications.  The toolchain sources used to build
that distribution are included in it.

Similarly, you'll be able to build post-1.2 kernels with 1.2 (and
earlier) toolchains.  Indeed, on one of my machines (one of the 2 that
i've not yet transitioned to ELF), i'm running a post-1.2 -current
kernel that was built on that machine, etc.

chris