Subject: Re: Help!
To: Eric Sentner <sentner@noc.digex.net>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/28/1996 17:58:04
Eric Sentner wrote

> On September 27, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> > Put simply, /sbin/init has vanished.  "ick."
>
> I was afraid this was the case.. Don't know how the heck init
> vanished, but there ya go..
>

> > You're probably going to have to re-install... or boot off of
> > another disk...
>
> This is exactly what I'm hoping to avoid.. I have a lot of stuff on the
> drive and don't want to reload it.. and I don't have another disk to
> boot from.. Is there a way to boot from floppy?  If so, could someone
> email me (or point me to) a floppy image that I could dd?

If you can get hold of a spare SCSI drive, install the basic
distribution on that and boot the system with it. Then mount your
other scsi drive(s) and relocate the missing init file.

This should allow to reboot your original system....

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf
E-Mail	: wulf@ping.net.au