Subject: Second Query - How to put boot blocks on Multia?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/26/1996 21:19:58
Dear Alpha People,
   I was able to get a good immage on to my helper disk and was able to
mount /usr.  I tried copying the a partition of the helpter disk to my
internal disk and then used disklabel to adjust the partitions.  I had
hoped that this would be sufficient for getting the bootstrap installed.
   I tared the a partition on the helper disk to my internal disk and
did the same for the d partition.

   I then tried to boot the internal disk.  The rom bootstrap recognized
the beginning of the bootstrap (in that it no longer complained about
not having a boot block) but very early in the bootstrap process
(about the time it says something like "jumping to PAL code" it comes back
to the >>> prompt.

    I noticed in /usr/mdec a boot and a bootxx and a program to write
bootstraps.

    Are there two bootstraps for the alpha which need to be written?  Do you
use disklabel to write the boot blocks and strap?  If so which files to
pick up and do you need two or only one?  Should one use the program in
/usr/mdec to write the boot blocks and if so how does one do it?

    Given enough time I could look at the source of the code for these items
and probably figure it out - I have a rather full plate so pointers would
be greatly appreciated.

johnh...