Subject: Re: Ethernet Auto-sensing on Multia's
To: None <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/24/1996 19:04:12
   matt@lkg.dec.com writes:

   > In  <199609242201.QAA07040@skorpio3.usask.ca> , you wrote:
   > > Are there any known problems with NetBSD 1.2 auto-sensing the 10base2
   > > Ethernet connection on a DEC Multia [21066, 166MHz, 24MB RAM]?
   >
   > Yes there are known problems.  (ie it don't work).

   :-(  Well, I'm really glad I asked the question  -- I thought I was just doing
   something wrong... :-/

   > I have a de driver with appropriate modifications but I still haven't gotten
   > the 10base2 connector to work.  It's really frustrating.

   Is this code available for banging around with?  I'd certainly be willing to
   muck with it... (no guarantees that I'll be able to provide any useful help
   though :) )

   Thanks for the super fast response...

   Later...

   Greg Oster

   oster@cs.usask.ca
   Department of Computer Science
   University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA

Another data point or three.... When I got my Multia, Linux/Alpha was
installed on it and the 10base2 thinnet port seems to function as
expected.

I also have a DC21041 based card in my Pentium which manages to use
the thinnet port without problems.

With a 'ping' going on, fiddling with 'ifconfig de0 linkXXX' on the
Multia seemed to sometimes yield packets [according to the blinken
lights], but it was never something which was reconized by anyone else
on the ethernet.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org