Subject: Ethernet Auto-sensing on Multia's
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/24/1996 16:01:16
Hi

Are there any known problems with NetBSD 1.2 auto-sensing the 10base2
Ethernet connection on a DEC Multia [21066, 166MHz, 24MB RAM]?

I'm trying to get a Sun 3/50 and a Multia connected via 10base2 Ethernet.  I
know the physical connection is fine (if I try to netboot the Multia, tcpdump
on the Sun sees the mop stuff without any problems).  However any sort of
networking stuff that I try under NetBSD doesn't seem to get anywhere...
(I'm running tcpdump on both ends, so I can see that the packets are getting
as far as the network interfaces, yet I never see anything on the wire from
the "other" machine).

On NetBSD bootup it prints:
  de0: enabling Thinwire/AUI port

[it prints some other stuff too, like which chip it found, and what interrupt
it's on, but that info's at home right now -- sorry :(  I can provide it on
request.]

Is that the "standard" message to be displayed for the Ethernet on the Multia
when using 10base2?

I'd like to hear from anyone who's got a Multia and is using the 10base2
Ethernet connection in NetBSD.  All indications from the net are that it
should work just fine.  I'd just like to confirm that my case is "abnormal",
and that I'm missing something else....

[some rooting in /src/sys/dev/pci/if_de.c has me wondering if the
tulip_dc21040_media_select() function is doing the right thing for the Multia
(should sc->tulip_media be set to something like TULIP_MEDIA_BNC or
TULIP_MEDIA_AUI or TULIP_MEDIA_BNCAUI?), but I'm prepared to admit the
code is just fine, and that *I* don't have the foggiest idea what I'm talking
about :) ]

Thanks.

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA