Subject: Re: Alpha 8x00 ISP SCSI host adapter driver
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/17/1996 22:28:42
On Tue, 17 Sep 96 22:15:59 PDT
 mjacob@feral.com (Matthew Jacob) wrote:

 > I misspoke myself. They're on a logical PCI slot. And the KFTIA has
 > 4 SCSI busses- 3 Differential Wide + 1 SE Narrow (which is what it
 > boots off of...).

Ah, that's right ... It's been a while since I've mucked with that
machine :-)

 > Ooops. Yer right. Silly me. I'll be down there tomorrow afternoon
 > and I'll drop on by....

Cool, I should be around pretty much all day...

 > p.s.: we should also talk about what's wrong with GPL and what 'mess'
 > means- the current linux qlogicisp.c is actually fairly clean for a
 > SCSI host adapter driver.

As far as the GPL is concerned, NetBSD doesn't, and won't, have GPL'd
code in the kernel.  In fact, the amount of GPL'd code in the tree is
kept to a minimum (as much as is feasible).

A mess ... hmm, well, giving it a closer look, it's "neat" in terms of
whitespace (mostly) and lining things up, etc ... however, at least a
couple of no-no's caught my eye:

	- doesn't use explicit type sizes

	- appears as if structures are used for "mailbox" commands,
	  and whatnot

In any case, the driver would basically need a complete re-write anyhow,
for at least 3 reasons:

	- NetBSD's autoconfiguration structure

	- NetBSD's machine-independent SCSI subsystem

	- <machine/bus.h>

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --