Subject: FYI: New NetBSD/Alpha distribution image (960913)
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/14/1996 10:59:34
I've put a new NetBSD/Alpha distribution image, dated 960913, up at:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/960913

It's built from the NetBSD 1.2 release branch, and unless some
machine-independent code gets changed before 1.2, will be what becomes
the NetBSD/Alpha 1.2 release.

It's not too different from the last snapshot, except there are
probably a couple of bugs fixed, and:

	(1) AlphaStation 500s now boot (thanks to Andrew Gallatin
	    doing the monotonous work of repeatedly testing changes
	    for me), with the same caveat as the '600s: the ISP1020
	    SCSI is not supported.

	(2) A few minor changes that will help to ease the transition
	    from 1.2 to ELF after 1.2.

If this does in fact become the 'real' set of binaries for 1.2 for the
Alpha, I strongly encourage you to upgrade to them, because if you do
and report problems, then i'll actually be able to investigate them
in a sane way.  (I plan to keep at least one machine running stock 1.2
for at least a few months.)

Assuming all goes well with the transition to ELF and the remaining
problems are resolved, the next snapshot i'll make will be using ELF
as the binary format.  When I do that, I plan to include a set of
instructions which indicate how to do a source transition from 1.2
to the ELF world.  In other words, i'd strongly encourage that people
stay at 1.2 (not -current) until after all the ELF stuff is ironed out
and I post that list of instructions.  Otherwise, you may have a hard
time making the transition, and may have to reinstall.

chris