Subject: Re: DEC 2000 axp (jensen??)
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Martin Ostermann <ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/30/1996 11:18:33
Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu> writes:
> > therefore, could never truly install.  i was told about netbsd as a
> > good os for this machine (someone called it a jensen?).
>
> No, that hardware is not currently supported by NetBSD/Alpha.  Whoever
> told you that was incorrect.
>

> The NetBSD/Alpha distribution 'STATUS' file says:
[..]
> >I was hoping to get a DECpc AXP port working "for free" based on
> >the PCI work, but the DECpc AXP is a very different (and, in my
> >opinion, very alien) piece of hardware.  If somebody wants to make
> >NetBSD/Alpha run on the DECpc AXP system, get in touch and I'll do
> >what I can to help you get started.

I was eventually going to ask the question about the Jensen status
myself, since I havn't found that information in the WWW, other than
being not mentioned. I have some interest in running BSD on my Jensen,
since I used to be much happier with (Free-)BSD than with Linux on my
Intel. OTOH, Linux is allready quite complete on Alpha (X-Servers,
shared libraries, etc...), so what's the status of NetBSD/alpha in
this respect? Sorry, if that sounded ignorant, but IMHO there is only
little information about the NetBSD/Alpha port available via WWW.

Martin
--
Martin Ostermann                | mailto:ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de
Communication Networks          | http://www.comnets.rwth-aachen.de/~ost