Subject: Re: Any experince with this alpha?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/27/1996 08:57:42
On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 16:29:54 -0400  Chris G Demetriou wrote:

> > - X works, but isn't really as fast as it could be as Chris just hacked
> > support.
>
> right.  The video hardware is actually pretty good (nice acceleration
> features), but the X server support is the absolute minimum to make it
> go.

As a small data point, here are some numbers for a TurboChannel sfb
(which uses an earlier generation of the chip that the multia uses)
running on a DECstation 5000/260 (R4400).  With an XFree86/X11R6 X
server (which treats the sfb as a dumb framebuffer) I get around 20k
xstones.  With the DEC supplied X server, this jumps to over 120k
xstones.

Without knowing how fast the current X server is for the multia, I'd
guess that similar potential for improvement exists...

Now to check the Australian DEC distributors to see if they're
available here :-)

Chris - do you know if a LK401 keyboard works on these?  We have a few
of them lying around.

Simon.
--
Simon Burge						simonb@telstra.com.au
UNIX Support, CPR Project, Telstra.			+61 3 9634 3974