Subject: Re: Any experince with this alpha?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG, John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Fred L. Templin <templin@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/26/1996 10:26:20
> Dear Alpha People,
>    It looks like DEC is dumping some alphas and various vendors are selling
> these systems.  Does anyone have experince with the following system:

John,

We have a bunch of these here at NASA Ames Research Center. They're known
as the "DEC Multia", and we're running NetBSD on them. I've been using mine
strictly for kernel hacking (I'm playing with the NRL IPv6 implementation),
so I don't even run X11. But, my officemate got X running on his and it
seems to be working fine. Another guy in our group who has one seems to
feel that 24MB of RAM is too small, and is looking into buying additional
memory. But, the biggest drawback is the dinky 355MB Toshiba internal hard
drive. It's just barely big enough to fit the entire NetBSD distribution,
so all of us here have hooked up larger external SCSI drives to boot from
because space is so tight on the Toshiba. Anyway, I still havn't gotten
down to heavy-duty applications on my Multia yet, but hopefully these
cursory observations will be helpful. One thing that's for sure though;
at $800 the price is right!

Regards,

Fred
templin@nas.nasa.gov