Subject: Installing Boot Blocks on New Disks
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron Benner <abenner@montana.avicom.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/23/1996 16:32:14
Reply To: abenner@montana.avicom.net

I've gotten my Multia running NetBSD/Alpha, and am trying to add on
some more disk, which I would like to make bootable. (Just in case the
primary disk goes down)  On an i386 machine I understand how to do
this using disklabel.  The problem I'm having is that on the alpha
disklabel doesn't seem to support the writing of boot blocks, and the
only other option I found ,installboot, doesn't want to work either.
When I try;

/usr/mdec/installboot -v boot bootxx /dev/rsd1c

I get:

boot: boot
proto: bootxx
device: /dev/rsd1c
boot block info locator at offset 0xd50
boot block info at offset 0xea0
max number of blocks: 939
boot: block numbers: 1952867956 -398430614 -521871664 -1975462710
1212211440
installboot: indirect block: devread: read: Invalid argument
boot: block numbers (indirect):

I'm at a real loss here.  I've also tried downloading the source for
both disklabel and installboot (as part of the 1.2_current sys tree)
and doing a clean make and install of the binaries for both programs
and for the images I was using.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Means to my end?

Thanks,
Aaron