Subject: EB164, PALcode revision, Booting NetBSD
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rolf Karlstad <karlstad@jwhp.spa.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/05/1996 18:16:33
Well, I finally got that EB164 based alpha, and have had, as yet, no luck
getting it to boot.  I can think of several reasons for this, but I think
I had better lay out my hardware and software revisions before updating
console revisions, etc.

What I have:
	DEC EB164 motherboard - 300mhz 21164 processor, DECchip 21171 chipset.
	cirrus logic 5430 VGA (PCI)  DEC 21040-AA ethernet (PCI)
	NCR 53c810 SCSI (PCI)  128 MB RAM, 2 MB 10ns cache, 2-4GB Qtm Atlas
Software revisions:  (I really hope that this is the problem)
	SRM console revision  X4.3-2326 Aug 29 1995 08:54:13
	VMS PALcode V1.15-0, OSF PALcode V1.19-0
(this seems quite a bit older than what I have seen documented in the mailing
lists).

What I have done:
	dd'ed the rz25 image to one of the 4 GB disks, under NetBSD-i386,
the only wierdness about this was that I had to use rsd0d instead of what I
would have expected, which would be, of course, rrz0c under OSF or rsd0c under
any other UNIX, but that seems like a i386 implementation detail, not a hangup.
	seeting environment variables seems to have no effect on the boot, here
is what happens.

	boot dka0.0.0.9.0 -file netbsd -flags s
block 0 of dka0.0.0.9.0 is a vilid boot block
reading 15 blocks from dka0.0.0.9.0
bootstrap code read in
base = 11c000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1e00
initializing HWPRB at 2000
initialing page table at 10e000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code

(flash, flash, flash (screen, also keyboard lights)

>>>    (this is a SRM console prompt) (ie, no luck)

Well, if anyone can suggest anything, thanks much.

Rolf Karlstad karlstad@jwhp.spa.umn.edu

TLASES, JJJDKDKDKDK