Subject: Re: Need direction(s)...
To: Christofer M. Metyko <tofer@basil.stthom.edu>
From: Pat Jensen - System Manager <patj@noc.icinet.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/30/1996 19:13:26
I also, have a DEC easy web server.  Which runs NetBSD/alpha fine, just tell
it in the firmware to switch to Digital UNIX/OSF, and then use the boot
command to boot the image once rawritten (I did it on an Intel FreeBSD
box).

Anyone know how to switch display res?  If I use some standard SVGA
monitor, the display wiggs - I guess its using some high clock or something.

The NT firmware displays fine, but the OSF/Unix firmware flickers..

-Pat

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Christofer M. Metyko wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I have a DEC Alpha that doesn't exist...  As I understand, DEC
> made about 5,000 of these "Easy Web Servers," but then at the last moment
> decided not to support them.  Subsequently they sold them at cost which is
> where I got mine.  I think it's a "Multia."  It comes with 32 MB RAM, a
> 1.+ GIG HD, a Floppy, an Ethernet card (10bT, AUI, BNC), a SCSI port, a
> parallel port, a serial port, and two PCMCIA ports (the SCSI is in the
> DEC's only PCI slot).  The reason I tell you all of that is because I
> don't know for sure what model it is.  From all that I have read, it
> sounds like it's a 166 mHz "Multia" (oh yeah, it is a 166 mHz CPU), but
> it came with absolutely zero documentation-- actually, it comes with a
> regulatory power compliance sheet, a pictorial on how to hook-up the
> key-board, etc, another pictorial on how to install more 72pin SIMMs, and
> a "How to setup Netscape Communciations Server Software."  It comes
> preloaded with NT 3.51 on it...
>

> I want to put NetBSD on it, and I have read all of the
> www.netbsd.org...alpha stuff on the topic.
>
> I FTP'd the "rz25-image" and uncompressed it and then put the 400+ MB
> file on the Dec.
>
> Uh...  now what?  This is where I get really, really confussed...
>
> I'm not sure if I should fiddle around in the boot-setup-program (that
> gives me different options, such as, what OS to load, to run a program,
> to set-up some configuration information, etc.)-- or to take a different
> route.
>
> If I were to follow the directions in the NetBSD/Alpha/Readme, then I
> need an NT-Alpha ``dd'' command...  hmmmm.
>
> Please help.
>
> I understand if you are busy and do not have time for detailed
> descriptions and step-by-step procedures--  I just need a little hint...
>
> Thank you.
>
> Chris.

 O  Pat Jensen					patj@icinet.net
<|> System Manager				http://www.icinet.net/~patj
 LL InfoNet Communications			Work: (209) 446-2360