Subject: would you all test a kernel for me?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/12/1996 21:41:49
I've put up a new GENERIC kernel in:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/cgd/netbsd.GENERIC.gz

Could you all please test it for me?

The biggest change is that i implemented root device autodetection.
It's quite a hack at the moment, but it's much better than what was
there before (i.e. nothing), and it _should_ properly figure out what
your root device is...

Anyway, if you could please test it on all of your NetBSD/Alpha
machines, i'd appreciate it.

If you run into any problems, e.g. it has to ask you what your root
device actually is (or any more serious problems that you're not
already experiencing), please send me mail containing boot message
output.  If it works for you, please just drop me a note saying so.

If you want the kernel to ask you the name of the boot device, use the
boot flag "n", and that should do the right thing.  if you do that,
it'll even let you specify a network device so you can mount root and
swap over the net.

thanks!

later,

chris