Subject: Re: 'generic' Alpha motherboards.
To: Rolf A. Karlstad <karlstad@woods6.spa.umn.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/29/1996 21:13:52
>I have had some interactions with Stephen Gaudet at DGC Computers, Inc,
>'Reseller of Digital Alpha based systems... running... Red Hat Linux...'
>..and of course, NT and Digital Unix.

If it can run Digital UNIX, then there's the possibility that it can
run NetBSD or that NetBSD will be able to run on it eventually.

You'd need to order the machine with the OSF (Digital UNIX) PALcode,
if you're given the choice between that and the NT PALcode.

>I'm not concerned with video support, just scsi and ethernet... and NetBSD?
>anyway, that's ny real question:  will this machine run NetBSD?  Have I provided
>enough information?  if I have not provided enough info. to make a judgement,
>what else can I provide?  I am fairly certain that I can retrieve the answer to
>any question about these boards.

You've not provided enough information, but it's not clear how much
you can provide without actually having one of the systems in
question.

I can say this: If it can run Digital UNIX, and if it uses the
hardware you've mentioned, it will either run NetBSD out of the box
(not particularly likely) or a relatively small amount of work would
be necessary to make NetBSD run on it.

The SCSI is definitely supported, and assuming that the 10/100Mbit PCI
Ethernet is a DEC 2114x ethernet interface that's supported as well.
(That's a safe assumption to make, really.)

There are two bits of information that are missing:
	(1) CPU identification: if it claims that it is a different
	    CPU type than anything currently supported, it won't boot.
	    (But, that's a good starting point to fix it.)
	(2) If it fails because of (1), special code for interrupt
	    mapping, etc., may need to be written to support it.
	    That's not too hard to do.

If you get the box, and it doesn't boot right off, i'd be glad to help
you make it go.  8-)

chris