Subject: 'generic' Alpha motherboards.
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rolf A. Karlstad <karlstad@woods6.spa.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/29/1996 18:47:33
I have been interested in purchasing an alpha for some time now, however, I am
loathe to purchase a system from Digital, as they require that all systems leave
the warehouse with disks and RAM and case and PS, and that just isn't appealing.

I have had some interactions with Stephen Gaudet at DGC Computers, Inc,
'Reseller of Digital Alpha based systems... running... Red Hat Linux...'
..and of course, NT and Digital Unix.

The only hard description of the 21164 based machines that I would be
interested in follows:

164 Alpha 300MHz 21164 Processor   330 SPECint92, 500 SPECfp92 est.
>>      2MB 3rd level cache, 10ns
>>      Tower Case & 400 watt p.s.
>>      1.44mb floppy
>>      32mb ram (8 x 4mb) This systems requires all 8 slots filled.
>>      1Gb SCSI-2 Disk
>>      NCR 53c810 FAST SCSI-2 PCI controller
>>      4x CD-Rom drive
>>      S3 PCI video w / 2mb vram
>>      Keyboard and Logitech 2 button mouse
>>      10/100MB PCI Ethernet
>>
>>         Price:$8,696.00

I can also buy this as a bare motherboard, which is my plan.

I'm not concerned with video support, just scsi and ethernet... and NetBSD?
anyway, that's ny real question:  will this machine run NetBSD?  Have I provided
enough information?  if I have not provided enough info. to make a judgement,
what else can I provide?  I am fairly certain that I can retrieve the answer to
any question about these boards.

Thanks Very Much.

Rolf Karlstad