Subject: Re: compiler problems
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: None <battlej@offsite.webbed.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/23/1996 15:31:04

> > so, a few immediate apparencies. first: no telnet.
>
> what do you mean?  Every distribution i've shipped has included
> 'telnet,' as far as I know.
>
> or do you mean that it doesn't work in some way?

no, I mean it isn't there. I snarf'd the image from 960425 on ftp.netbsd.org,
and dropped the bin.tar.gz update on top of it. no telnet. :( and a hosed
compiler. dunno why, but I'll reinstall, see if that helps.

> > second: skey is broke.
>
> This isn't a big surprise, to be honest...

yeah, seeing as md4.c wants a 32bit long. and all the endian stuff from
my favorite distribution is gone. (the one on thumper.bellcore.com.)
I'll have at it, tho'.

> > the
> > second of these two I can tackle ( and will :), but the first seems to be
> > a symptom of a deeper-rooted problem. I hope everyone can forgive what might
> > be obvious, but I've tried.
>
> what _have_ you tried?

digging through compiler source, playing with the defines in the header files,
few other things, but seeing as how things seem _seriously wrong_ I thing the
image I started may have been slightly corrupt.

> What this _really_ looks like is that you copied your /usr/include
> from an i386 system, and are trying to compile.  This would cause both
> this problem and your <string.h> problem.  You can't do that, and,
> frankly, i have no idea why you would have thought that you could...

nope. didn't do that. that would be silly. I'll see what I can do with this.
Thanks to all for all the help.

Regards,

Joe Battle
battlej@webbed.com