Subject: compiler problems
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <battlej@offsite.webbed.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/23/1996 02:04:51
hi,

just got netbsd up and running on an AXPpci board. no problems getting it up
and running, kudos to the team.

so, a few immediate apparencies. first: no telnet. second: skey is broke. the
second of these two I can tackle ( and will :), but the first seems to be
a symptom of a deeper-rooted problem. I hope everyone can forgive what might
be obvious, but I've tried. here goes.

gcc keeps complaining about, well a few things. like...

/usr/include/string.h:55: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `memc
mp'
/usr/include/string.h:56: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `memc
py'

basically, it thinks that the defs in the headers conflict with the builtins.
I could use -fno-builtins, but that wouldn't get me much further. the defs in
the header files seem to jibe with the defs in both versions of gcc source
(cygnus and /usr/src/gnu), so I'm not sure why it's complaining. but it
bothers me that I don't know why.

the other, and more important problem gcc keeps barfing on is this:

commands.c: In function `tn':
commands.c:2221: warning: address of register variable `__x' requested
commands.c:2221: invalid `asm': invalid %%xn code

this shows up, from the looks of it, whereever any of the (htonl, htons, ntohl,
ntohs) family are used. any clues?

Regards,

Joe Battle
battlej@webbed.com