Subject: NetBSD/Alpha ported software README
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/10/1996 00:34:24
I don't think that I can reasonably keep a ported software
archive for NetBSD/Alpha up for FTP on ftp.netbsd.org, but I'd like to
collect people's notes about and diffs to software that they've
compiled for NetBSD/Alpha.

What that means to you:

If you've compiled software for NetBSD/Alpha (HI BERNDT!  I've not
been ignoring you!  Really!  8-), send me (cgd@cs.cmu.edu) notes about
what you had to do to make the software go, and what changes (if any)
you had to make to the software.  I'd prefer diffs in context diff
(diff -c) format.  I'd also Really Like It if people would send their
diffs back to package maintainers and check that they get distributed
with future versions of the packages...

The 'notes and diffs' archive is at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/ported-software
and the current version of the README file in that directory is
included below.

chris
The following software has been ported to NetBSD/Alpha, and is known
to work at at least a minimal level.

If you want to have an entry added to this file, or patches added to
this directory, send mail to Chris Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>.  If you
want patches to be included, please send them to the package's
maintainer(s) as well, so that they will be included in the next
release of the package.

Except where otherwise noted, packages were configured, built, and
installed without any changes or special handling.

This file last updated on May 9, 1996.

Package		Version		Date	Porter
-------		-------		----	------
GNU autoconf	2.9		950509	cgd

bash		1.14.6		950509	cgd
	Diffs in bash-1.14.6.diffs.gz.

emacs		19.30		950509	cgd
	Diffs in emacs-19.30.diffs.gz.
	Requires changes committed to the NetBSD master sources
	on May 9, 1996.

GNU m4		1.4		950509	cgd
	Configured with 'configure --program-prefix=g'.

GNU make	3.74		950509	cgd
	Configured with 'configure --program-prefix=g'.
	Installed with 'make binprefix=g install'.

MH		6.8.3/6.8.4	950509	cgd
	(Base sources were the MH 6.8.3 sources with the MH 6.8.4
	beta patches from ftp://ics.uci.edu/pub/mh/updates/MH.6.8.4.Z
	applied.)  Diffs to the base sources are in mh-6.8.4.diffs.gz.
	Those diffs add an example config file named 'netbsd'.  It was
	used as the configuration file.

GNU oleo	1.6		950509	cgd
	Diffs in oleo-1.6.diffs.gz.
	There are several bugs in the NetBSD include files
	(as of May 9, 1996) which prevent oleo from compiling
	cleanly.  They're pretty easy to fix (they just require
	adding a few clauses to #if statements), and have been
	forwarded on to the right folks for approval and
	integration.

pdksh		5.2.4 (pl2)	950509	cgd

perl		5.002		950509	cgd
	Diffs in perl-5.002.diffs.gz.
	Requires changes committed to the NetBSD master sources
	on May 3, 1996.

screen		3.7.1		950509	cgd
	Configured with 'configure --prefix=/usr/local
	--exec-prefix=/usr/local'.

Tcl		7.4		950509	cgd
	Should be built with 'make MATH_FLAGS=-DTCL_NO_MATH',
	to disable math library support.  Because of lack of
	appropriate kernel support for various floating point
	operations, if you don't do this some common operations
	(e.g. those tested by the tcl tests) will cause floating
	point exceptions.

tcsh		6.06		950509	cgd
	Diffs in tcsh-6.06.diffs.gz.

GNU texinfo	3.7		950509	cgd