Subject: Re: can't compile kernel
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@hotdog.ping.apana.org.AU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/30/1996 12:28:32
> The old problems remain -
>
> 	no nfs to a netbsd/alpha partition

I've not yet had time to investigate that...

>  	showmount -	RPC: portmapper failure
>                         :Can't do Mountdump rpc
>                         showmount exited with status 1

Well, there's now a working gdb...  8-)

> And a new problem
>
> 	named -		can't connect to the local nameserver
>  			(named was ok with 960224)
>  			I now run named compiled as an external
>  			package (BIND-4.9.3-RELEASE). For anyone
>  			interested it's in
>  			ftp://hotdog.ping.apana.org.au/pub/NetBSD/ \
>  						NetBSD-alpha/contrib

I've not seen that, but then I don't run a local nameserver, either.
As far as I know, there have been no changes to named between that
release and the current one...

The BIND support in the tree _is_ 4.9.3...  I'd really rather you
try to debug the problem, rather than punting on the one in the
tree...  Otherwise, the one in the tree will remain broken.

chris