Subject: Re: where are par0 and fd0 devices
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@HOTDOG.PING.APANA.ORG.AU>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/11/1996 12:32:20
> 	a.) I frequently experience silo buffer overflows generated
> 	    by the CSLIP link on /dev/ttyC0. They seem to be
>             harmless but are anoying.

This is pretty standard 'com' port lossage, but, frankly, i'm
surprised to see that it's happening on the Alpha, since the CPU is so
fast...  *sigh*  what speed are you running your serial port at?
(it is one of the stadard 16550-clone uarts, right?)

> 	b.) There are no devices for a line printer (parallel port)
>             and floppy drive.

The former will be fixed Real Soon Now (as soon as i convert the Alpha
port to use the new <machine/bus.h> interfaces, i.e. before the next
snapshot).  The latter will require a bit more work, because it uses
DMA; that won't happen yet.

BTW, when the parallel port driver shows up, it will be called
'lpt'...

> 	c.) still no support for pci_vga graphic cards. I've got some
>             pricing on the TGA cards from DEC - I do need to say no more.
>             Is there any document which gives me an outline of what is
>             needed to get a Xserver constructed for pci_vga cards?

I'd be a somewhat standard VGA server, really.  Eventually, the XF86
folks will have a X server that runs on the alpha, etc., etc., etc.,
etc.

Given the nastiness of VGA, in general, i'd say "let them do it" if
you can wait...

chris