Subject: Re: "Multia" AXPpci machine?
To: Thomas J. Merritt <tjm@cgt.com>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/03/1996 15:05:47
> Netbsd makes the assumption that the system firmware will
> have properly initialized the PCI bus and the devices on the PCI bus.

I'll point out that this isn't an "assumption."  The PCI spec
_requires_ that system firmware properly initialize the bus and
devices on it...

Re: X11:

Well, i just booted (into single-user mode) a 'random machine' we got
in for testing (an AlphaStation 250, which i'd never run before but
which others had said worked) which had a TGA, mounted the file
systems, ifconfig'd the loopback interface, and started X with no
problem.  I see no reason why the server shouldn't run on any PCI
alpha with:
	(1) a TGA,
	(2) a PS/2-style mouse.

chris