Subject: Re: [Q] newfs problem: Device not configured
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/27/1996 20:02:57
> Two things:
> - you need to set the fstype as '4.2BSD', and set the cpg field to '16'
>   (the latter can be overridden by the -c option to newfs)

I'm pretty sure that this is not correct.  unless i'm mistaken, newfs
doesn't rely on the fstype field to be set before it will work, and
it'll set both that and the cpg field.

> - The '*' after the cylinder start/end values in the comment is
>   because your partitions aren't on cylinder boundaries. I suggest
>   that you make your partition sizes multiples of '798' (sec/cyl).
>   My usual method of doing this is:
> 	round(part_size_in_MB * 2048 / sec_per_cyl) * sec_cyl
>   So, sd0a would be either 130872 long
>   The reason for doing this is for a) performance,

But it generally doesn't make a difference on SCSI disks, and

>   and b) some systems
>   don't like swapping onto swap partitions that aren't on cylinder
>   boundaries.

This is not true of any modern system I know of (including OSF/1, err,
Digital UNIX and NetBSD).

cgd