Subject: New NetBSD/Alpha source snapshot and kernels available...
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/23/1996 00:13:46
Hi folks.  I just put a new NetBSD/Alpha source snapshot, some new
kernels, and an X server binary that works on the TGA up for anon-ftp
at:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/960122

In addition to diffs to make X work on the ZLXp-E1 (TGA; T8-*), it
contains a few stability fixes, etc.  If you've not got a ZLXp-E1, i
suggest you update your kernel and sources.  A kernel built from these
sources has been running on my workstation, tomintoul, and currently
has an uptime of 13+ days...  (The X server has been running that
whole time, too, and seems to work well enough.  8-)

The diffs to make X work have one weird/bad side-effect.  I couldn't
make X work correctly if the bit in the TGA registers to make the
frame buffer a few extra undisplayed pixels wide (for speed) is set.
The PROM normally sets it, and assumes that it'll remain set, so
kernel text displayed on the monitor will be unreadable after return
to the PROM...  As always, use of a serial console is suggested.
(I've also changed the 'dmesg' code to save more information, but
that'll only help if you rebuild dmesg.)

I'm going to be away at usenix until sunday night (1/28), and will be
travelling for much of the rest of the next three weeks...  If i'm
slower than usual in replying to mail (hah!), that's why...

later,

chris