Subject: Re: Shared libraries
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/11/1996 08:25:35
> OK, i lied.  the first two are really hard.  And, I don't really
> consider OSF/1-style shared libs acceptable...  NetBSD uses a shared
> library style that works very well, and unless it's completely
> inappropriate and a strong case is presented that proves that, the
> same style should be used on NetBSD/Alpha.
>
> It may very well be easier to, say, convert the NetBSD/Alpha
> executable format to a.out, then do this, than to try to do it with
> ECOFF.

Hmmm. So if I want to be able to use lkm's for device drivers, and shared
libraries, then it's time for a.out.

Is the current Alpha tool tree likely to change within the next few months?
(i.e. Is it stable enough to work on?)

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street