Subject: Re: Kernel Compile
To: Trevor Mendez <tmendez@BBN.COM>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/05/1996 23:19:43
> At the risk of ask another dumb question, does anyone have no why the
> 951220 kernel gave failed linking for me as shown below?

It looks like libkern isn't being built properly, most likely because
your /usr/libexec/cpp symlink is pointing to the wrong place.

Are you running the 951220 binary dist?  did you read the README_FIRST
file?  (there was a similar problem in the previous binary dist, as
pointed out on this mailing list.

> I fetched Chris's
> "sys.tar.gz" (which BTW could not be un-tarred with the SunOS 4.1.x provided
> tar -- only GNU tar worked -- thought SunOS's tar worked for the NetBSD current
> tar files)

I dunno specifically why this would be, but it's well known that SunOS
tar does not implement the standard (ANSI?) tar format...

chris