Subject: Re: how to create a bootblock?
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@hal9000.apana.org.au>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/03/1996 10:43:40
> I want to install and boot from a 4GB SCSI harddisk. Can someone
> give me some hints. At the moment the bootblock is installed on
> a 730Mb Quantum Lightning which I've sold.
>
> There is a program called installboot in the /usr/mdec directory
> and some files called boot and bootxx. Am I on the right track?

uh, it works like the sparc installboot, if you're familiar with that.
take a look in src/distrib/alpha/rz25dist/Makefile.  in particular:

copy /usr/mdec/boot to the new root partition, then do something like:

        ${DESTDIR}/usr/mdec/installboot -v ${DESTDIR}/boot \
            ${DESTDIR}/usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/r${DESTDISK}c

note that using the 'c' partition to do the boot block frobbing is
really a hack, necessitated by (1) the way installboot works, and (2)
the way 4BSD "kernel security" works.  You'll probably need to do it,
too, though.  8-)

chris