Subject: Re: AXPpci33 problems
To: Trevor Mendez <tmendez@BBN.COM>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@hal9000.apana.org.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/03/1996 23:29:09
Trevor Mendez writes:

> >        5.) com0: 2 silo overflows 0 ibuf overflows
> >            on SLIP-link @ 19200bd
>
> I assume this means you got SLIP to work somewhat.  Can you tell me what you
> did?  I tried the following:
>
> ON ALPHA PC:
> ************
> % slattach -s 9600 /dev/ttyC0
> % ifconfig sl0 inet alpha_address other_address
> % ifconfig sl0 link0
> % ping other_address
> ping: sendto: No route to host
> ping: wrote other_address 64 chars, ret=-1
>
> ON INTEL PC RUNNING *BSD:
> *************************
> % slattach -c -l -s 9600 /dev/tty00
> % ifconfig sl0 inet other_address alpha_address
> % ping alpha_address
> ... 100% packet loss
> % netstat -I sl0
> Name  Mtu   Network     Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
> sl0   296   <Link>                             0     0      204     0     0
> sl0   296   128.89      GIGABIT3.BBN.CO        0     0      204     0     0
>

> "netstat -rn" on the alpha showed that a route had been created and was
> being used.  Can't figure out why the network code is acting this way?
> (Seems no sources were included on the disk.)  Thanks.
> /tdm

This is what I did:

slattach -h -s 38400 /dev/ttyC00
ifconfig sl0 inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd eee.fff.ggg.hhh
route add default eee.fff.ggg.hhh

This gave me a working slip using com0: port (I don't use a terminal
on this port) and hence connectivity to the Internet ;-)

There are a few problems though:

	1.) using hostnames instead of IP-addresses I was prompted
            with an error message (something like network not
	    reachable)

	2.) Ping times increase from ~200ms to > 2000ms after some
            connect time on a 14400bd serial eventually causing a
	    lockup of the keyboard.

I don't know what is causing these problems.

cheerio Berndt

PS: let me know how it goes on your system!
--
E-Mail	: wulf@hal9000.apana.org.au
Phone	: ++61 411 245170