Subject: Re: AXPpci33 problems
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@hal9000.apana.org.au>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@niagara.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/02/1996 17:09:06
> 	1.) intermittent keyboard lockup, in particular when
>             ftp'ing. The console display continues to update
>             information on the running process at that time.
> 	    Also hitting the keylock, numlock button doesn't
> 	    eluminate the corresponding LED.

known problems, sort of.  I'm unable the reproduce the keyboard
lockup, but have heard enough people complain to believe it.  8-)

i think some of the 'lock key' bogons may be fixed with my current rev
of the keyboard code, but i wouldn't bet on it...  (I forget what i
changed, offhand, and can't check easily because my workstation has
more or less checked out...)

scroll lock still definitely doesn't work.

> 	2.) nslookup dumps core.

yeah, this is a known problem.

> 	3.) pcivga_bell: unimplemented.

this has been fixed.  (actually, i fixed it to really ring a bell,
then i think i might have yanked that code out, and should put it
back...  but the annoying printf is now gone, and the bell function is
no longer display-dependent.  Now it's keyboard-dependent...  8-)

> 	4.) console behaves strangly when scrolling text,
>             e.g. using "more", "vi" etc. Tried different
> 	    TERM settings to no avail.

the TERM the code was sort-of hacked to follow was 'sun'.

if you've got a VGA display, you'll need to frob the number of rows
the terminal thinks it has (either via stty or by hacking a new
termcap entry... I think there's a termcap entry in the db that should
work, but was broken because of a goof in some script...)

It's worth noting that the terminal emulation code is, uh... a bit
tweaked.  I wrote it in like an hour or two and, well, uh, i didn't
really test it much more than "does it pass the first order vi test."
8-)  hopefully i'll get some time in the near future to fix it up...

> 	5.) com0: 2 silo overflows 0 ibuf overflows
> 	    on SLIP-link @ 19200bd

I've not seen that.

> Anyone with similar experiences?

"see above."  8-)

> Also some questions:
>
> 	1.) Which ISA-cards are currently supported? I have a
> 	    3COM III ethernet card which wasn't detected.

just about none.  It requires extensive hacks to ISA drivers to get
things to work, and i'm really only willing to hack the drivers i have
hardware for...  which is only wss...  Some changes i made a while ago
broke wss support, and i've not made it work again since.  8-(

> 	2.) Any recommendations on the type of gfx-card to use?

PCI VGA should work, as should TGA (ZLXp-E1 only; other cards will
work... strangely, if it all).

I've personally got N (where N is like three) ZLXp-E1's (which are
really all the same, modulo monitor size switch settings), and one
Mach64 PCI VGA board.

i'd be Very Surprised if non-PCI VGA boards worked (like, there's
currently no code to support them, but with a little bit of work they
should be usable).

As previously noted, i've got X working on the TGA (and _not_ the VGA
boards), so if you want X you currently have only one choice.

> On a brighter note: The standard utility programs such as screen, tcsh,
> kermit did compile and run fine ;-)

"see!  it doesn't completely suck!"  8-)

chris