Subject: Re: Booting AXPpci 33
To: Trevor Mendez <BBN.COM!tmendez@werple.net.au>
From: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/1995 13:42:42

> >Does the same hardware configuration run with OSF/1?
> >With a serial console?
>
> The only hardware change that I made since the time when the system was
> successfully running with OSF/1 was to remove one of the SCSI disks.
>
> I never tried using a serial console under OSF/1.
>
> Also, I recall that from the start, the 2nd or 3rd line at power up was always
> "mouse error" even after the serial port mouse had been removed.  Don't know
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Perhaps I misunderstand your wording, but do you have a board with an AT style
keyboard interface (and therefore no separate mouse connector)? I thought OSF/1
was only supported with the PS/2 style keyboard and mouse (which is the
version I have).

When I power up my PS/2 style board without the mouse (in the dedicated port),
I get the "mouse error", but the system still runs fine with NetBSD/Alpha. I
can use a serial console (which I did at first) or the keyboard and text
on the MACH-64. Of course I can't actually _use_ the mouse 'cause I don't have
an X server. 8-(.

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street