Subject: Re: g77/f77 - NetBSD-Alpha
To: Rolf A. Karlstad <>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/14/1995 23:54:46
>Realizing that g++ only recently began to work under NetBSD-Alpha, is there
>any chance at all that GNU Fortran will build (has been built?) into binaries?

I doubt that anybody has tried it.

>Hmm, thanks a lot for any reply, however terse, I'd also like to know if OSF/1
>is required to boot a NetBSD-Alpha kernel, I think I understand that any
>Alphastation 200/400/? should provide a OSF/VMS kernel booter...

Uh, the AlphaStation 200 & 400 include firmware that provides the SRM
console software and OSF/VMS PALcode.  That's all that's necessary to
boot NetBSD.

NetBSD/Alpha don't rely on any part of OSF/1 (though installing it can
be a pain unless you've got _some_ unix box to make a disk image

It'd be nice if we had our own firmware (as i think the linux folks
do, because some machines, sold for use as NT boxes, don't include
it), but that's not likely to be something I'm going to be working on.