Subject: Re: lkm device drivers under NetBSD/Alpha
To: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/14/1995 19:08:05
> Too true. Considering that I need (want) lkm's to work, are there technical
> reasons that make getting modload to do ECOFF unachievable (by me, not
> _you_ 8-) ??? I guess the question I'm asking is: does the concept of
> modload work with ECOFF files?

yes, the concept makes sense.  It's just a SMOP.  8-)

> And is this likely to be less or more difficult than getting gdb to work
> on NetBSD/Alpha? 8-)

i dunno.  currently, gdb _still_ doesn't work completely right for me
(i see bogus values for local variables and function arguments), so
it's not clear that the comparison can be made...  8-)

> > > I guess this means that modload will need some '#ifdef __alpha's?
> >
> > no, '__alpha__'s.  any maybe '__pmax__'s, depending on what tools
> > exactly they use.  (at least some of the changes should be common.)
>
> Is the place for all these #ifdefs modload.c, or arch specific files?

I doubt the changes would be large enough or modular enough to warrant
(or easily allow) arch-specific files...

chris