Subject: Re: shared libs on NetBSD/alpha
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/07/1995 09:44:37
> Neither Linus nor DEC say they are working on shared libraries themselves.

Linus does.

This is a related posting I saved:

From: torvalds@cc.Helsinki.FI (Linus Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: DEBATE:  BSD vs. Linux
Date: 6 Sep 1995 19:52:00 +0300

In article <42hhvh$h5g@news.cloud9.net>,
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net> wrote:

>>Just for the record, the answer to your "?" is yes, NetBSD/Alpha runs
>>OSF/1 binaries (that's how it was initially bootstrapped).  It's just
>>one of a vast collection of well-abstracted compat code, actually.
>
>It is worth note that NetBSD/Alpha does _not_ currently run dynamically
>linked OSF/1 binaries due to undocumented aspects of the behaviour of the
>OSF/1 shared library loader, unless cgd has made a big change since I
>last looked.
>
>Perhaps the Linux code could be used as documentation. :-)

You're quite welcome to.  But _real_ men do it the hard way..

Seriously, the way I did this was by using a special /sbin/loader binary
with debugging hooks that I made ("dd" is your friend: binary editors
are for wimps) and taking a look at what the stack etc environment
looked like at process startup.  As a result the linux sources have no
explanations in them except for the single comment "/* whee..
test-programs are so much fun.  */", but they do seem to work.

(I tried to get some documentation out of Digital on this, but as far as
I can tell even _they_ don't have it ;-)

		Linus